Bringing home a new puppy is an exciting time, but it can also be overwhelming. There are many things you need to do to make sure your puppy is happy and healthy, and to start building a strong bond with them. In this blog post, we’ll cover six important things you should do when you first bring your new puppy home. From setting up a safe and comfortable space for your puppy to establishing a feeding schedule and providing basic obedience training, we’ll guide you through the process of getting your new furry friend settled into their new home. So, let’s get started on making sure your new puppy has a happy and healthy start to their new life!
Here are a few things you should do when you first bring them home:
- Set up a safe and comfortable space for your puppy: This could be a crate or a designated area in a room. Make sure it has a comfortable bed, plenty of water, and toys to play with.
- Schedule a visit with a veterinarian: It is important to have your puppy examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible. They can check for any health issues and give you advice on how to care for your new puppy.
- Establish a feeding schedule: Puppies need to eat frequently, so it is important to establish a feeding schedule right away. Consult with your veterinarian or the breeder for recommendations on how much and how often to feed your puppy.
- Start house training: Begin training your puppy to go to the bathroom outside as soon as possible. Use a consistent routine and rewards to reinforce good behavior.
- Socialize your puppy: Expose your puppy to a variety of people, places, and experiences to help them grow into well-rounded adults. This can include visits to the park, meeting new people, and going on car rides.
- Provide basic obedience training: Teaching your puppy basic obedience commands, such as “sit,” “stay,” and “come,” can help establish a strong bond and improve communication between you and your puppy.
2 thoughts on “What are the first things I should do when I bring home my new puppy?”